Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Blog 3

The session I attended for Student Success Day was the Keynote Leadership Session by Patrick McGarrity. The session I attend is about how to manage your money when you have credit cards and how to maintain a good credit score. Patrick stated a good point in the middle of the session he said " unless you have more money than what you know what to do with, you need a job." He mentioned that nothing gets worse than your credit card getting maxed out and the best thing that can happen when you have a credit card is when you pay more than the minimum payment on your credit card statement, the credit score improves. I also learned that when you have a higher credit score that means you have to pay less interest and monthly payments. The main thing I got from this presentation is turn your job into a hobby and when bill collectors start bothering you there is no way to ignore them.
I personally thought this presentation was helpful because I learned a lot of things about finances I didn't know before and it's given me a lot of helpful tips to use when I start using my credit card for big payments in the near future. The information applied to me because I am planning to move out on my own soon and with all this information in mind, I know I can keep my self hopefully out of debt and not get myself into trouble with credit cards. What I can apply from this session to my career is I can ask if they have anything set up for retirement and I can ask what kind of benefits I can have from working with their business.

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is an awesome session to attend and I am glad you liked it. It is important for everyone to know how to manage their money and credit score. I totally agree with Patrick's statement he made about the amount of money you have a getting a job. It's so true.

    I personally after reading your blog wish I had gone to that session. I think it would be beneficial for me and managing everything on my own once I am out on my own and have to do everything myself. After reading this, I know for sure that I have to get serious about knowing all this stuff as I grow older.

    ReplyDelete